Enraged Jesus


I have never seen a painting of Jesus with a whip in a church building. I have seen the painting of a soft gentle Jesus, Christ on cross, resurrected Jesus but not once have I seen a painting of Jesus with a whip. ( If you have seen please do let me know. I would like to visit that church).

As I read John 2, from verse 13, the 15th verse really got my attention.
So he made a whip out of cords - John 2:15. Did you see that? This is was not a sudden outrage of Jesus but He “Made” a whip tells us that this was well planned attack. He took his time to make a whip. So if Jesus who is seen calm and composed most of the time is angry at something, I think we should seriously consider what he was angry about. Jesus himself gives us the reason. “Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!”-John 2:16. Even today there are so many who market Jesus. If you have Jesus, all your problems will be gone. Want more money, Jesus will fix it for you. But it’s not true.

Only when we see Jesus face to face when he comes back, he will wipe away all our tears. He used harsh words like hypocrites, whitewashed tombstone, Satan, and so on to rebuke and correct people. And we don’t like this Jesus. There was a time in my life when I was drifting away Big time. During that time when someone used harsh words to correct me it hurt me and I thought it was not from God. But now I know it was from God. In our daily walk with the Lord, we need to See Jesus in a New light. Seeing an enraged Jesus is as important as seeing Jesus as a loving one. When God is treated as a product with a consumer mentality, we must be aware he comes with a whip.

Can you imagine an angry Jesus with a whip in his hands? What are your thoughts when you think of this picture of Jesus?

Comments

  1. Thanks Kingsly. It is a good warning. I often picure him with a baby lamb in his hand :) time for a new perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. He outgrows our thinking each time when we read about Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I read John 2 soon after I read this post. "Jesus In Temple" does descibe that the "whip" was "made"! I don't even like to imagine Jesus with a whip in his hands. But yeah, this is great blog entry esp. for those cut throat marketing folks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sandhya, Jesus With a Whip Helps Us to live the life within his Line...Good that you went on to read the actual chapter from John...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let Your Tears Fall

Riches to Rags - The Story of Christmas

A Voice Shouting!